Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm HERE!!!

I made it to Okinawa, safe and sound...ADD 1 and 2 were not killed and did not kill each other...and are still happy campers! Adrienne and I (and our band of people) went to In N Out for our "last supper" and then headed to her house to get luggage and head out...Cheryl, Tash, and I had a tire blow out on the way - yes I know, EVERY time I go to the airport there has to be drama (pictures to come!) We had the police come and change our tire - thank goodness for a full size spare! Anyway, a bit late, we were on our way. My parents arrived before us and stood in line, so when we got there we went right to check in! With only a little bit of luggage shifting we were all set! We left at 1:15am - just a few tearful goodbyes :) I had taken dramamine (thanks for that advice!) and promptly fell asleep, only to wake to dinner being served at 3am. I had to sit up and stared at Adrienne who was eating, put my mask back on and went back to sleep! I woke up an hour or so later, felt pretty good and spent the rest of the flight opening our little cards and presents, reading, watching Made of Honor, and bothering Adrienne :) We got to Taipei (see previous blog) and then got on our last hour flight. After arriving, getting all 5 bags! and going through customs....we got out to the front of the airport and were picked up by our principal (Mr. Elofson) and two other staff members. They struggled to put our luggage in the van and we went with Mr. Elofson to have lunch (at The Japanese restaurant...original name huh?), grocery shopping HA HA HA - oh my, we aren't in Kansas anymore...but that was fine. We got a few other things, saw our new cute apartment, and went by the school to see our classroom and pick up curriculum. Dinner at Tony Roma's (we're settling in SLOWLY to our new food choices...) Unpacking and BEDTIME!!!! Today we got up and came to school to help look for an aparment for the other new teacher - fun. On the way we stopped at the 100 Yen store - GREAT stuff! I drove on the other side of the road, very safely...only turned the windshield wipers on once (instead of my blinker)...and only squealed for a minute (maybe two) was like switching from carpool lane to the exit lane all over again (Sarah, you know the sound well!) Adrienne cried a little, I'm pretending it's from laughter and not fear :) We are at school right now doing computer stuff and then we get to drive on the wrong side of the road home :) We'll have a phone number and internet on Monday! All things will be up to date then! Love and miss everyone already...loving all my comments back - feels like home!


Aimee said...

Great first post! Keep it coming...inquiring minds want to know. So, tell me about the grocery store, what did you get? What is your classroom like?

Tash said...

Yay! You're there and safe and happy :) GOOD! It's nice to read about all of the exciting things going on! I'm glad that things are off to great a start. Love you!!!

Sarah said...

The car scream, yes I know it well, we've become well acquainted! In fact I'm sure I could pick it out of a line up! So glad you got there safely and in true Alison fashion already have a million memories built up! I only wish I could be there with you livin' it up! Keep writing 'cause D and I are enjoying them so much... except I still have to mute the sound... lol!